Grace Marks Your Heart





I learned something really neat last night that blew my mind and I can't stop thinking about how I want to tell someone about it. It's kind of complicated so hold onto your seats.... I'll explain the best way that I know how. Correct me if there is a hole in my logic. 


Ok. So. Who is responsible for the fall of man- the first sin? Adam, right? And as a result, we're all sinners and since God is a totally just God who can be nowhere near sin, we are then separated from him completely until Jesus bridged the gap. Sinners saved by grace. That's the story of the Gospel, right?


So, before we are 'saved' we are characterized as guilty and then corrupt. They are harsh words but completely accurate. You may say, though, "Aren't we corrupt and then guilty? Aren't we innately sinful and so then we sin... then we are guilty as a result of our sin?" Contrary to what I have often believed, no. Think about this:


If I say " I was bad. There was something I could do about it but I chose to do the bad thing. The consequence is that I feel guilty" then I could easily say  (conversely) ," I am capable of choosing good. The decision is up to me. I won't be guilty if I choose good. I can be a good person. "


This insists that we have the potential to be good not only in our choices but  by our very nature. This contradicts the Gospel completely. Thus, we do not do bad and then are guilty, we are sinful by our very nature and thus do bad as a result. We are not corrupt and then guilty. 


On the flipside, saying that we are guilty and then corrupt displays how incredible the Gospel is. Because of Adam, we were all born sinful and cannot help but to be inclined towards sinful things. And yet God saved us. 


This is what really was surprising to me last night in thinking about all of this: I am SO depraved that not only do I do sinful things and struggle to seek God day by day, BUT I can't even claim responsibility for the weight of my depravity. I cannot even say that my depravity is my fault or that I have ever had any control over it. I was born guilty so then I am corrupt. By nature, therefore, I do not want Jesus to come fix things that I screw up in my life, I need Him. There is no other way. 


Maybe you're thinking, "duh, allie.." but all I'm saying is that I'm shocked more and more each day by how out of control I am ... so out of control that I can't even take credit for being a screw up. 


Ya know what's cool, though? Not even the angels can give God as much glory as humans do for they have never known what it is to be redeemed. He chose us above all creation. What a guy....

1 comment:

  1. loved this. as i was reading it i felt you saying it in front of me and getting excited and passionate as you spoke. But you explained it well and I definitely understand. we are so sin with bones. and until we can admit that we are nothing but failures and that we wont be anything but a mess without God, and even then life and we are going to be messy until we return to our eternal home. But once we understand that it's our fault and depend on the only one who knows no sin and with the power to lift us out of our depravity will we be free.
    p.s. nice song :]

    ReplyDelete

Please! Offer your thoughts, concerns, opinions and insight!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com