As the walkways of Tuscaloosa filled again with the bustling of students, class to class to class, and as every white space in my agenda began to fill with chicken scratch appointments, one thing started to become abundantly clear: I have been meeting with WAY too many girls! In my ambition to reach the entire Alabama campus within my first year of ministry (ha!), I have taken on far more than any sane gal should. I have spread myself too thin for any kind of quality product. And so, for the month of January, I have dedicated myself entirely to two pursuits:
1. Continuing to grow in my understanding and practice of prayer
2. Developing a new, smarter strategy for discipling students
For the past several months, that's all I seem to do. Play with ideas, rearrange my meeting schedule.... all in attempt to get a better look at how Jesus mobilized His followers out into the world. Well! Great news! I think I have it figured out! (For the time being, at least!) I wrote each of the 36 girls I've been working with onto index cards & spread the pile across my bedroom floor. I selected five girls who will be my primary focus this semester, those who are most hungry for information and guidance, and then grouped all of the remaining students in pairs or groups of three. This way I can meet with several girls at once! They can feed off of and challenge each other, not to mention maximize my time! So far its' going really well! It was through prayer, Jesus' model of discipleship, and guidance from my staff that I've begun this plan.
Please pray that God would use these discipleship groupings to encourage my students- helping them see their need for growth and outreach on Bama's campus! What I need is hungry students, girls who come to me with ideas and initiative. It will be those kinds of students who can really make an impact in this town.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


This sounds like a most intelligent approach. I am glad that you are formulating a more productive plan which is also better for your overall health. This also will give you some practice in management of not only your time, but your people, your resources, and your FOCUS haha (as we have talked about that).
ReplyDeleteI am proud of you
Love, Dad