true marriage

ARRIAGE has been in the headlines nearly every day for the past couple of weeks. Homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual... Is the purpose of marriage solely for our personal satisfaction? It is it a means for promoting economic equality? With what parameters & purpose did God, our masterful creator, design this sacrament? I sometimes fear speaking out on this topic because I know that it will ruffle the feathers of some very dear friends. I know that to touch someone's notion of sexuality or freedom  is to brush against the very fibers of their core. I know that to challenge what the world ( & even our president ) is advocating about marriage means taking an extremely unpopular stance.... it means that I may lose friends or supporters. Even worse, I fear that my words might might hurt someone I love...

But... Truth is Truth. God's design is perfect design... even when our human rational leads us to more 'reasonable' conclusions. My desire is not to push people away, but to invite them in to catch a glimpse of intimacy as God designed it. Scripture is extremely clear about how we are to regard marriage (here are just a few verses to graze the surface)  & so to reject or water down these principles is to decide that we know better than the All-Knowing.... it is to decide that we are God & we establish what is True. Jesus died & rose from the grave so that we could freely function & thrive within the structures He created (Exodus 19:5, Deuteronomy 11:1, John 14:21, Romans 1:5, 1 John 5:2, 2 John 1:6 , Revelation 14:12) . Thus, to fabricate our own structures, to degrade marriage to an economic entity or dub it a  'lifestyle decision' is truly to spit in the face of the same man who died for you.  I cannot dictate how unbelievers should view marriage but I can (& should Proverbs 27:17, Matthew 18:5-22) call Christ-followers to cling dearly to Scripture. I can...and undoubtedly should, fight for what God deems a holy union. Because marriage is the clearest picture we have of Christ's relationship with the church, it is, in fact, a holy union.

I have no desire to belittle or berate, bully or bruise, only a desire to protect what God demands that I hold in highest regard. My deepest desire, the crimson thread which weaves itself throughout my entire life, is for others to experience the transforming, pure love of Jesus Christ. If a redemptive relationship with Jesus is truly our salvation than it is logical that all other relationships should revolve around His principles- particularly our most valuable earthly relationship, marriage.  

Marriage, within it's natural design, is absolutely breathtaking. It is sacrificial. It is selfless. It places Christ as the head & joyful obedience as the priority, not personal preference.   This story... is a fabulous, fabulous example....


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please! Offer your thoughts, concerns, opinions and insight!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com