the war for purpose

Today, on my glorious day off,  I watched a documentary called the Baker Brothers; a journalistic compilation of American soldiers in Afghanistan It was fascinating & it absolutely broke my heart. I couldn't help but text my friend Joel & tell him how grateful I am for his service to our country. It made me feel proud. However, at the same time, I couldn't shake the spiritual warfare of what I was watching. 

Since the day the tornado struck Tuscaloosa, Alabama, I've felt intimately connected to every natural disaster & war dominating the news channels. It seems as if everything is falling apart at the seams & the world becomes more wicked by the day. As images of the Taliban, innocent children shot to death, & the hallow stares of the soldiers saturated the documentary, I couldn't stop thinking about how vitally important my job is. I couldn't stop thinking about how desperately the world needs to know Christ.  

& amidst all of this emotion... I became angry. I became angry that the God of all resources would allow me to be sitting on a couch in Georgia while students beebop around our campus without a clue. I became frustrated that my support is not all in yet & that I, who is eager to tell of God's glory, feel trapped in circumstances beyond my control. Sure, I know the 'right' answers. I know that God clearly doesn't want me on campus right now for some reason. I know that he has me in Georgia because it is his plan to have me in Georgia right here, right now. I know that His timing is better than mine. But in the moment, in this brief moment of exhaustion & passion, I wrote this piece....


When earth is shaking
And flesh is severed
Boundaries chaos
& armies storming
Why wait?
Each day new footage
Of demons streaming
In speech & note & bodiced gold
Rampant runs he with k9s tingling
Why bridle steed of righteous white?
When souls are searching
& brains just forming
The puzzle piece free
& ready to fit
Why wait?
I don’t understand your ways, Oh Lord
I’m biting at the bit.
In silence I wait for trumpets call
To move in mast for all I’m worth
So
Then
Why
Wait?
Why Abraham to wait for sons
For Moses 40 years?
Why not the Child at Edens end
Instead in thousands more?
Why hesitate
when prayers breach brim
& 500 strong
 lift high a plea
I ask with heart pure and prone
To he who holds eternity.

Where are the troops
You call as mighty
Awaiting beckon
 to partner hence?
In cool night sleeping
Dreaming thick
 in down
& lace

Awaken Captain
For onward press
Heart gilded to selfless forward pace
Erase distraction of nickel idols
& loom the field for battle cries.

I wait for the trumpet.
Here I wait for you.
I wait for cause grandeur still
Than what imagination holds in boast
Here I wait for you.
Wait for the trumpet’s call.
 Even as the wars rage on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please! Offer your thoughts, concerns, opinions and insight!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com