solider in the pouring rain




On the 24th day of the 1st month as I was standing on the bank of the great river, the Tigris, I looked up before me and there stood a man dressed in linen, with a belt of the finest gold around his waist. His body was like crysolite, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like gleam of burnished bronze. 

-------------------------

And this only
an angel who fights for me,
how much more 
the King of Kings?

When "no's" and "maybe next years" 
drive my hope down down down
that the Lord,my love, that He is listening
this is the hope on which I stand.

Have you heard me, Lord?
Have you heard?
I've been willing to be a fool for you
to claim September 1st when all said it impossible
because you are a big God
capable of big prayers
Why are you being so stubborn??
And yet you answer, 
just in ways not what I want...

...a contradiction of faith;
to hate picking up the phone 
when I've seen all you've done
time and time and time again. 

Lord I'm so tired already 
Begging for refreshment
for a week anew,
I begged for gratitude
to exchange business for intimacy. 
Oh Lord I've missed the feel of your touch.....

And as summer sky broke loose 
in passion falling rain
my mama looked me in the eye
and said "let's go dance."
Oh Lord, I needed those mud-deep toes
soaking wet, fabrics heavier by the drop
to feel you bigger than me
beating down on my tainted flesh in violent breath
How I've missed you.
How I've missed you. 

Thank you for the rain 
and a mama who will dance

Thank you for fighting for me 
when I'm weary of fighting for myself.
Thank you for powerwashing flesh whiter, whiter yet
and turning eyes skyward when all I've been seeing is myself. 

Soggy here I sit
a soldier by my side
clothes growing cold
while words warm inside me

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please! Offer your thoughts, concerns, opinions and insight!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com